Thursday, May 14, 2009

Near-term predictions

In a posting of February 16, 2009, I tried a couple of near-term predictions. Let’s see how well I did:

I predicted that after a little cosmetic huffing and puffing, Senator Burris would be quietly allowed to remain in his Senate seat, even though he admitted to lying to his fellow Senators, and to the investigators in Illinois, about how much contact he had with discredited Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich. He is still in the Senate. Score one for me!

I predicted that the automobile companies would come back to Congress with an unconvincing recovery plan, and Congress would pretend to be convinced and give them more bailout money anyway. I’m please to say I was wrong on that one, and the administration has (thus far, at least) really forced the auto companies to “get real”. I suspect that is because the administration, and not Congress, is driving that issue.

So I got 50%, about what one would expect from chance.