Friday, June 12, 2020

Recommended: Prof Antony Davis

I have come across some excellent YouTube presentations by Professor Antony Davis, Professor of Economics at Duquesne University, and the Milton Friedman Distinguished Fellow at the Foundation for Economic Education.

Let me recommend, for example, his 20-minute presentation on the 10 Myths of Government Debt. It certainly disproved some things that I believed. For example, could we help the problem by raising taxes on the rich? Sounds reasonable. I certainly believed so, and lots of politicians make this argument. But the data actually show, from 1950 to the present, that federal revenue as a percentage of GDP has stayed almost flat at about 17% whether the top tax bracket was 91%, as it was in the 1950s, or 30%, as it was in the 1990s. So that belief is simply not supported by the data (not that many would change their mind just because the data didn’t support their belief).

Or try, for example, his 19-minutes presentation 5 Inequality Myths, or his presentation Why Government Fails.

Again, as in my previous post, I am amazed at how much we all think we know that simply isn’t so. It reminds me again of Mark Twain’s comment: It ain't so much the things that people don't know that makes trouble in this world, as it is the things that people know that ain't so