Monday, February 7, 2011

The Next Decade

I have just started reading George Friedman's new book "The Next Decade". In due course I'll write a more complete review, but I thought a couple of paragraphs in the introduction deserved special note immediately:
I invite readers to consider two themes. The first is the concept of the unintended empire. I argue that the United States has become an empire not because it intended to, but because history has worked out that way. The issue of whether the United States should be an empire is meaningless. It is an empire.

The second theme, therefore, is about managing the empire, and for me the most important question behind that is whether the republic can survive. The United States was founded against British imperialism. It is ironic, and in many ways appalling, that what the founders gave us now faces this dilemma. There might have been exits from this fate, but these exits were not likely. Nations become what they are through the constraints of history, and history has very little sentimentality when it comes to ideology or preferences. We are what we are.
This promises to be a very interesting, and highly relevant, book.