Thursday, September 11, 2014

The President’s speech last night

I read the text of the speech to the nation that President Obama gave last night.  I couldn’t bring myself to listen to it live, because I am tired of his rhetoric (but to be fair, by this point in the Bush presidency I couldn’t stand to listen to Bush any more either).  If I were to paraphrase the speech, it would run like this:

Introduction:

Hey, I know I have been getting a lot of flak lately for being a do-nothing, indecisive, lead-from-behind, golf-playing president in foreign policy, but we have managed to do a few minor things, like find Bin Laden and waste him.  Give me a little credit here.

Central Point:

We still have no idea what to do about Syria, Iraq, or the Islamic State, so we are going to continue to do the only thing we can think of, which is to drop a few bombs on them any time we can find a worthwhile target, and maybe pass out a few MREs (Meals, Ready to Eat) to a few of the Syrian rebels. We certainly don’t intend to do anything really effective, like putting American troops on the ground. By some hard arm-twisting over the past few days we have managed to assemble a coalition of nations who are willing to at least give lip service to the idea of helping us (though of course they see that we don’t intend to invest much in the effort, so they won’t either). This effort will be a long one (meaning that I intend to dump this whole problem off on my successor just as soon as I can).

Conclusion:

Lots of meaningless platitudes about how great we are.

Is this really the best the administration can do?