Thursday, January 19, 2017

Perhaps it’s a generational thing

Perhaps it’s a generational thing, but I see all these protests scheduled around the inauguration of Donald Trump as simply bad manners. I was raised in the generation that thought manners mattered, and thought that someone else’s bad manners wouldn’t excuse my own. My generation still thought that if two mortal enemies were about to dual to the death, it was still polite for them to salute each other with their swords before beginning the duel. My generation thought that the inauguration of a president – any president – was an important national ritual, an affirmation of the American democratic tradition of passing presidential power peacefully from one person to the next, whatever one might think personally of the new occupant of that office.

Yes, a lot of the country isn’t happy Donald Trump won the election.  I’m not particularly happy with him, but then I wouldn’t have been happy with Clinton either. That is almost always the case in an election; there are winner and there are losers. But he did win and he is our new president, and good manners would dictate that we respect the office even if we don’t particularly respect the occupant.

But then this is a generation that often doesn’t answer RSVPs or send “Thank You” letters for gifts. So maybe I am just out of date. Maybe acting like a boor, or like a spoiled child that didn’t gets its way, is the new norm. If so I am sorry for the state of the nation, and of American society.