Saturday, January 6, 2018

Recommended: A New Year’s Toast To The Old Breed

Victor David Hanson has a thoughtful piece worth reading: A New Year’s Toast To The Old Breed. He meditates on the difference between the generation that fought the Second World War, including his father, and the generations that followed - the Baby Boomers and now the Millennials. I too have been thinking a lot recently about the nature of our America society, pampered by an excess of consumer goods, driven by an entitlement mentality, focused on greed, and now engaged in such bitter political trench warfare. He is right - I recall in my own family the "can do" spirit of those in that generation, including my own father and mother. And I don't see it much in our society anymore. Its absence may well signal the coming end of the American era.